Before leaving for San Diego, Vineet planted the Okra seedlings. For my Florida friends, Okra is the best thing you can grow in the summer! It stands up well to the summer heat and it is a super healthy green vegetable to add to your diet.
Okra can be used in soups, stews and curries. It can also be steamed and tossed in a mixed green salad or served in a rice or quinoa bowl with various sauces.
Here are some of the health benefits of okra:
- Rich source of dietary fiber
- Good source of folate (yeah, you don't have to supplement folate when you eat the right foods!)
- Contains 36% of RDA for Vitamin C
- Rich in B-complex vitamins
- Contains important minerals such as iron, calcium, manganese and magnesium
- Contains Vitamin K, which is important for making blood clotting enzymes and strengthening bones
If you don't have a garden, start looking for okra at the grocery store. The harvest season lasts from May to mid August.
Do your kids love okra? Let us know in the comment section below!